Trail Resources for Trail Users
Trail Guide to Healthy Living
Discovery Routes and regional trail partners have assisted the Greater Nipissing Stewardship Council in the creation of the “Trail Guide for Healthy Living”. Published in 2008, the trail guide is a collaborative project between trail groups, trail owners, and trail managers to further expand the information available to local trail enthusiasts. The guide features over 200km of trails from Mashkinonje Provincial Park at the western arm of Lake Nipissing to Mattawa in east and Magnetawan in the south.
The guide is is no longer in print, and only a limited number of copies are still available. Stop by the Discovery Routes office in North Bay to pick up a copy or alternatively, you can order them online through our website. The cost to ship the guide is $10.
Other Trail Maps and Local Guides
Many local Trail Managers have put together some beautiful trail resources. Any of the following are available at the Discovery Routes office. If you are not able to visit us in person, we would be happy to send you any of the following publications for the cost of shipping and handling. See our merchandise page to order.
- Laurentian Escarpment Conservation Area Trails produced by the North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority
- The Fire Tower Trail interpretive pamphlet produced by Restoule Provincial Park
- Mashkinonje Hiking Trails, trail map produced by Friends of Mashkinonje Provincial Park, 2008
- Mattawa River Provincial Park, map pamphlet produced by Ontario Parks
- Northern Ontario Trails; Yours to explore, People-powered use of trails, produced by Ontario Heart Health Network, 2007
- Forgotten Trails of South River Area, trail map produced by the Forgotten Trails Association
- North Bay Trails and Pathways
- Callander Active Transportation Map
Local Trail Clubs
There are a wide variety of clubs and associations across the region for different interests. The following are a few of the clubs that welcome new participants.
North Bay Cycle Club – This is an informal group of individual cyclists that enjoy long-distance road rides. Interested cyclists can contact Cycle Works bicycle shop on John Street in North Bay for details on the next group ride.
“The Ultimate Guide to Geocaching” – A great resource for those new to geocaching.