Bare Rock Trail

Kearney

Description

Bare Rock Trail owes its name to the many outcroppings of the Canadian Shield which hikers will encounter along the way. Kearney and the entire District of Parry Sound are famous for their
rocky soil.

In fact, a local trapper, historian and Order of Canada recipient, Ralph Bice, once wrote, “In six days God created Heaven and Earth. On the seventh day he stood back and threw stones in Parry Sound District.” Our longest trail includes an unopened section of Stoeger’s Road as well as a section of the unopened 10th sideroad. The trail is broad and easy walking although some sections can be wet in the spring or after heavy rains. Sturdy footwear is highly recommended. In combination with Stone Fence Trail and Ebertson School Trail a hike of almost 7 km is possible. This trail is perfect for walkers, bird watchers, photographers and snowshoers.

Stoeger’s Road is named for the Stoeger family who have long been a part of the Kearney community.
Moose, deer and black bears visit the area.

Ownership Town of Kearney
Management Town of Kearney
Length 3.3 km
Activities Hiking, Snowshoeing
Difficulty Easy

For More Information

Town of Kearney 
(705) 636-7752 admin@townofkearney.ca

The vast network of trails we celebrate exist on the traditional lands and waterways of the Anishinaabe people within the territory protected by the Robinson Huron Treaty of 1850 and Williams Treaties of 1923.