Voyageur Cycling Route Southeast Expansion
This page is designed to update stakeholders on the progress of the expansion of the Voyageur Cycling Route between Mattawa and Ottawa through the counties of Renfrew and Lanark. Click here to find out more about the Voyageur Cycling Route project across Northeastern Ontario.
With funding support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, the Voyageur Cycling Route eastern expansion will include:
- Establishing a Voyageur Cycling Route Southeast Expansion steering committee to oversee route expansion through the Ottawa Valley
- Community and stakeholder consultation to determine preferred route alignment between Mattawa and Ottawa through Renfrew and Lanark counties
- A route options study to determine required cycling facility improvements along the route east of Mattawa
- Development of an implementation plan
- A mobile workshop to test ride and evaluate the final cycling route
- Evaluation of cycling rates on the route prior to implementation and promotion of the Voyageur Cycling Route to measure changes in frequency of cycling subsequent to implementation
- Evaluation of physical activity levels of individuals to demonstrate an increased participation in an active lifestyle
Stakeholder Meeting – June 1, 2017
A preliminary planning meeting for the Voyageur Cycling Routes southeast expansion took place on June 1, 2017 in Carleton Place as part of the Eastern Ontario Active Transportation Summit.
Route Options Map
A draft route options map has been designed to provide a visual of the proposed on-road and off-road cycling route options for the eastern cycling route expansion. The map was created based on input received during the first planning meeting at the Eastern Ontario Active Transportation Summit in June with participation from Renfrew County and Lanark County as well as lower tier municipalities, active transportation advocates and cyclists. Feedback has also been incorporated from further discussions with Renfrew County staff and the Township of Papineau-Cameron, consultations with individuals involved with the Ottawa Valley rail trail and data collected as part of MTO’s consultation on the provincial cycling network.
The route options map is available to view at the following short link https://goo.gl/CdwJCr. Input is welcome on this map. The route options identified on this map will be the basis for a route options study and implementation plan development.
Route Options Study and Implementation Plan
The study will be an extension of the 2015 Voyageur Cycling Route Feasibility Study and Implementation Plan to evaluate the technical elements of the identified route options. A consultant will be engaged to: investigate a variety of data sources for the proposed routes; select appropriate cycling facilities based on the data collected and field investigation; estimate the capital costs for recommended upgrades; and, prepare an implementation plan for cycling route expansion.